As motorcycle season comes to an end it’s time to start preparing your bike for a few months in storage. We’ve compiled 10 tips to help assist you during the winterizing process!
- Clean your motorcycle:
- Wash and towel dry your motorcycle.
- Add a coat of wax to act as a barrier against moisture and add WD40 to the metallic parts.
- Add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank. Make sure you run the bike long enough to ensure that the stabilizer gets through the entire fuel system.
- Keep your battery charged by hooking it up to a battery maintainer that will automatically shut off to prevent overcharging.
- Change your oil and filter right before you put your bike away.
- Inflate your tires to the recommended pressures. Lift your tires off of the concrete with a motorcycle stand, piece of carpet or even plywood. This is done to keep moisture from seeping into them.
- Check and make sure you have a sufficient amount of antifreeze.
- If the bike has a chain drive, clean and adjust the chain if necessary. Also make sure you lubricate the chain.
- Plug up your pipes with a muffler plug or even plastic bags so that rodents don’t use it as a bed. We recommend plugging it with something bright colored so that you don’t forget to take it out once Spring hits!
- Cover your motorcycle to ensure that moisture and debris stays off of your bike.
- Keep your motorcycle safe. Store your motorcycle in a secure place. Ideally that would be a garage or shed. But if you don’t have access to either of them you could look into a storage facility or a local dealership.
Another way to ensure the safety of your motorcycle is to install a T3 Vehicle Security System. The T3 will alert you immediately if your bike is moved. Your phone will show GPS location, speed, and direction. You call the T3, press # and T3 connects you to the 911-Operator located closest to your bike and T3 can let Police track the thief with real-time location of the bike. Contact us to learn more!