As the winter months draw to a close, everyone can feel the toll it has taken on the roads. Potholes are everywhere–some are rather large! Potholes can cause damage to your vehicle including flat tires and suspension and alignment issues, so it is important to learn how to handle them in order to minimize the potential damage they can do to your car. Here are 5 tips:
- Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the car in front of you. This will help you spot the potholes ahead of you.
- Avoid large puddles of water. These can just be potholes in disguise.
- Slow down. Let’s face it, sometimes you just can’t avoid hitting a pothole, so slow down and grip the wheel so you won’t lose control of your vehicle.
- Inflate your tires. By having your tires inflated to your vehicle’s manufacturer’s recommended level, you can minimize potential damage.
- Get suspension checked. Another way to lessen the damage when you can’t avoid hitting a pothole, is to make sure that your vehicle’s suspension is in good condition.
Sometimes potholes are just unavoidable and your vehicle may sustain some damage. By following these tips and learning how to safely handle them, it may help to save you frustration and money down the road.